Thursday, July 07, 2005

When it rains it pours

I'm exhausted, so here's the short story:

Friday, 7/1: Interview at The Knitter's Studio, get sales job. On the way home get a call from a recruiter for a cool-sounding job as Events Director at iGames, to run tournaments for video gamers. Recruiter emails me job req, I send him Word resume. He emails at 8pm saying he'll get all info to hiring manager.

Saturday, 7/2: Recruiter emails, asks when I'm available for interviews next week. I say Tues, Thurs, Fri because Wed I start at TKS.

Sunday, 7/3: TK and I enjoy fireworks over Stanford on top of the parking structure by the hospital because we couldn't hike to the Dish since it closes at 8. Bummer, but still cool fireworks.

Monday, 7/4: See Howl's Moving Castle (awesome, by the way) in SF with friends, then catch fireworks at Ghiradelli Square and dinner in North Beach. Best friggin' fireworks I've ever seen, and dinner at Calzone's, sitting outside watching people head home from the fireworks, was awesome! Randomly check email via cell phone browser - Recruiter asks if I'm available Tuesday for interviews, and to call hiring manager directly. Leave midnight call for hiring manager that I'm available Tues pm and will call back during business hours

Tuesday, 7/5: Hiring manager calls me first, sets interview for 1-3:30 pm. I meet with 6 people, including 3 via phone. I will hear back from hiring manager early next week. Go to Peninsula Knitters, fill them in on details and worked out the mistakes in my Cosy (this is a knitting blog, after all.)

Wednesday, 7/6: I'm about to leave for TKS when the hiring manager calls. They've already met, they like me, can I send her references and she'll send job app? I quickly send out references, don't have time to warn my references, and head to TKS by 11. I love working in a yarn shop! I still need to learn the inventory but it's nice to pet yarn all day (sorry, I mean arrange and straighten) and help customers with their projects. I stayed for the workshop (swatching) and left at 8. Exhausted.

Thursday, 7/7: I stop by iGames to drop off the app on my way to TKS. Hiring manager asks me to wait a couple minutes, comes back saying they want to make an offer! Salary within my range, I accept.
I HAVE A JOB!!
Pay is very good, decent benefits for a small company, I manage 2 people (yikes!) and the location is great for both our current house and the (crossfingers) condo we can start thinking about again.
Make it through the day at TKS without freaking out about my new job too much, calling people on my breaks to share the news, then head to the mall to celebrate a little by getting a couple new tops for work. Have dinner at my very good friend PK's, who I haven't seen in months. He just got a new job too, so lots of celebrating.Watched documentary on Burning Man. Interesting.

I'm going to try to take one of my references/former colleagues out to lunch tomorrow to celebrate - she's got a new job too - then get my life organized. Saturday I work 10-5 (COME VISIT!), Sunday I gear up for the week, and then I start my new job Monday morning! I still have to tell TKS tho - they knew I was looking but I was not expecting it to happen this quickly!! I'll try to stay on part-time but with my new schedule, who knows.

Now I'm going to go crash. What a week.

5 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Blogger HoJo said...

Yeah, Amy!!! Congratulations. Don't let the pendulum swing too much other way (in other words, don't work too hard). Good luck in both new jobs.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

Congrats! That kicks so much ass! The exact same thing happened to me the last time I was unemployed! Hah!

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's such great news! I'm really happy for you, but concerned about a possible newfound lack of knitting time ;)

-kristi

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Elspeth said...

Congrats! Sounds like two cool jobs!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats!
There is an opening at my company (for which you are more than overqualified) I was going to talk you about on Tuesday - so yes, when it rains, it does pour!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home