Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Felt-o-Rama!

This was supposed to document the felting process of my SIL's Sophie bag, but my stupid camera only took some of the pictures, despite taking several shots each, so this is more of an "after" than a "before and after".

SIL mentioned a couple months ago that she would like a "colorful" bag similar to one I'd picked up in Mexico a couple years ago - a simple black pouch with colorful cording, and a long strap. Since her birthday was June 3, I decided to make her this bag.

For those who had not seen the bag pre-felted, it took almost 6 balls of Dale of Norway's ARA 6, plus almost a full skein of Cascade 220 in black. Sophie called for Cascade with 10 1/2s, but since ARA is listed as bulky, I used 13" needles on the ARA and 10 1/2 dpns for the Cascade, with a few modifications.

I added a flap, and used doubled-Cascade for an I-cord bind-off around the edges of the bag and flap, and instead of a short twisted I-cord handle, I made 3 long I-cords and braided them. I also added 2 small pockets in Cascade to the inside.

Before (no picture) - I could fit my laptop in it. HUGE. I didn't measure but I'm guessing 18" across and 12" high. The neat thing was that the ARA is practically roving (almost no twist) and was thick-and-thin, so it had bulky areas and thin areas.

After: please ignore the strings, I never weave in the ends on a felting project 'cause I can just cut them off without a problem. The bag is now 10 1/2" across by 9" high - probably 1/3 the size of the original bag. I felted it twice in the front-loader in the laundry room. The business card is for size reference.

Pre-felting, TK said he thought the strap was too long. I designed it to wear across the chest, and it sits on my hip when I wear it that way. We'll see what SIL thinks, I can modify to a shorter strap if necessary.

Here it is turned inside out so you can see the pockets. The Cascade didn't felt as much as the ARA, so the pockets kinda bulge out - but they're perfect for keys or cell phone.


There is NO stitch definition left in the ARA, and a little in the Cascade. I'm glad the Cascade felted less - I was nervous the I-cord bind-off was too tight, and now the pockets are roomier.

4 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Elspeth said...

It looks great! And I have been weaving in ends all this time!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

That turned out sooo good! I can't believe how much it felted! Wow!

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger HoJo said...

Wow, it looks great. I can't believe how well the color pops after felting. I'd love to see it in person on Tuesday - if you'll have it that long.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home