Monday, February 13, 2006

Technical Difficulties

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one off to a shaky start. Friday night I finished the second sock of a pair I am giving as a gift this coming weekend as I watched the Opening Ceremonies on TiVo. I was going out of town for the weekend so I packed everything I would need to cast on.

Eek! Size 5 needles to start? Good thing I read the start of the pattern before I finished packing. Since I'm doing a 1x1 rib at the bottom, I decided on the tubular cast on, a new trick for me.

FFWD to me sitting in the hotel room with a spare piece of sock yarn trying to do a provisional cast-on without a crochet hook. ARG.... So I tied the sock yarn to the main yarn and did a long-tail cast on using the sock yarn as the tail. All seemed to be going very well - 3 rows stockinette, then pick up the bottom stitches and keep going in rib, except worsted weight on size 5 hurts my hands...

Oh wait, I'm supposed to do the pick-up row in the ribbing? No wonder this row of purl looks funny...

RIP RIP RIP

Now wait a minute, how did I get 2 knits without a purl? ARG....

So last night when I got home I frogged it all again and started the cast-on over. Now I understand how it's supposed to work, and it looks like it's supposed to. I got through the size 5 ribbing, and now switch to 8's. OK, where is my other size 8 needle end for my Denise set? OMG I think it's back at the hotel. And it's midnight - so I'm sure it's gone for good. Good thing I have a Susan Bates metal size 8 circular needle - and the yarn seems to like the metal needle better than the plastic anyway, so maybe this is a good thing!

189 stitches x 9 more rows and then to the increases!

Speaking of technical difficulties, looks like Blogger's having its own issues. I hope this post sees the light of day!

4 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger rincaro said...

I got a slow start on mine too. And then I keep taking it places and forgetting the pattern.

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh yeah, this is the sis who checks you out ocassionally. I understand about 1/100th of what you write. Is it in a different language?! The wedding site is much more my speed these days. Glad you found something fun to do in your spare time and even more glad you aren't speaking Klingon or something.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey sis, this is was a particular jargon-y post - but yeah, it's not Klingon!

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a great wedding!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home